Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Interview with a Star - Elena (Roltinica)

Please, welcome our team mate Elena, who runs Roltinica shop on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Roltinica
Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Elena and I live in the beautiful city of Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. I'm a felt maker and I make my felt flowers using a wet felting technique.

How long have you been creating? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?
I began making felt jewelry about 2 years ago. My daughter Tatyana was browsing the Internet and suddenly found a felted purse tutorial. She thought it would be nice to learn how to make things like this, so we shopped for wool and I made a felted purse out of it. My daughter’s joy knew no bounds! That was the moment when I actually realized that I fell in love with felt.

Felting is very popular in Russia and you can also find many books and tutorials on different felting techniques. I love flowers so flowers have become my favorite subject for felting. I read a lot, studied the techniques and was experimenting with felt every single day. I tried to make smooth petals out of fluffy wool and the result was I found my own way to work with felt. I was so excited to see what else I could do.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Roltinica
In your opinion, why is felted accessories are so popular these days?
I think, the felted accents are a lovely way to complement modern clothing. Decorate your handbag, hair or clothes with a felted flower and you will be noticed! Nature creates beautiful flowers but they have a short life. A felted flower will never wilt!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/262696402/felt-brooch-pale-pink-poppy-flower-nuno?ref=shop_home_active_23
 Do you take custom orders?
Yes, I do take custom orders. Sometimes it is challenging because from time to time my customers are asking me to create a flower I have never seen because they don't grow here in Russia. So I am making my flower from a photograph and I am so happy when it becomes a realistic-looking one! I am getting great feedback on my work from my satisfied customers.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/484307850/felted-pansy-flower-brooch-dark-lavender?ref=shop_home_active_3
Which one of your orders was the most extraordinary?
One of the most unusual orders was two blue roses for a bride's dress. I made these with a great pleasure.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/179047737/felted-brooch-light-blue-flower-and?ref=shop_home_active_1
What is your family’s attitude to your creativity?
My family supports and inspires me in everything and I’m very thankful for that. My mom is my most authoritative critic – if she does not like the flower, I will remake it.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Roltinica
Do you have a Favorite quote you'd like to share with us?
If you want to be happy – be happy! (Kuzma Prutkov)

6 comments:

Natalka Pavlysh said...

Nice to meet you, Elena!

Unknown said...

Nice to mee you. Elena!

Unknown said...

Great Interview!
Nice to mee you

Unknown said...

Love Lena`s brooches!

Natalya said...

Они прекрасны. мама дочка и цветы

Anonymous said...

Very talented work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...